Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Disappointed

Word was... it may snow. But it didn't happen! After all the build-up from earlier forecast, disappointment settles in once again. You may not understand what I'm talking about, unless you're one of those who live in the south and love to see snow come to our area. What started as a forecast of 1-3 inches of the white stuff, turned out to be a few flakes that amounted to the dust blown around in heavy traffic. Nothing! Nothing, but another disappointment for the snow lovers! I've gotten use to the feeling. The weathermen never seem to get it right when trying to forecast winter precipitation around here. The big build-up usually turns into a big let-down. Crushed! Torn! Heart-broken! Traumatised! OK, I may be over-doing it a little! But I love the snow, and it is disappointing!

I've learned that disappointment is lessened to some degree, if I lower my expectations. I try not to expect too much from things and people because they will, at some time, not meet my expectations. If the prognosticators are predicting a great season for my favorite football team, then maybe I should adjust my expectations a little less than the best outcome. If the weatherman forecasts 3 inches of snow, then maybe I should just be happy with a few flakes. I can lower the expectations on those things and people that are out of my control. That will lighten the blow a little.

The only problem with that approach, is that it can lead to a real losers mentality, if it is applied to everything in life. Especially when it comes to people. I will create a world that is filled with doubt and pessimism about everybody. Here are the people that are excluded from the Low-expectations club:

1)The people I really know. These are the people I've been close enough to, to see the potential in their lives. These are the ones that should be held to the standard of their God-given potential. High Expectations for you!

2)The people I've invested in. These are the people that I've given my time, energy, resources, etc.. These are expected to produce great returns. Not returns to me, but life in general. High expectations for you!

3)The people I look at in the mirror every day. ME! I should live with high expectations for my own life on a daily basis. Nobody knows what is in me any more so than I do! I know what God has done in my life. I should expect the best effort, the best attitude, the best outlook, the best productivity, etc. and so on and so on..... You get the picture? I know I will miss the mark somewhere along the way. But at least it will be unexpected to some degree! And nobody will be any more disappointed with me, than ME! High Expectations for me too!

I don't won't to live life with such low expectations that I never place any demands on my life or anyone else. That may soften the blow of life's disapponintments, but it will assure me of a life of under-achieving. And man...that would be a real disappointment!

Meanwhile...Let it SNOW!!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I'm with you about LET IT SNOW. I would have loved to see it snow a foot. Some people would have totally freaked out, but it would have been pretty. I would love to see us get some snow like you see in the mountains. I have been up there a few times to see it and it is just soo beautiful. So quite and peaceful while it's falling. So please just LET IT SNOW!

Carol said...

Pastor, I know how much you love the snow but I was happy that they got it wrong again! BOO TO SNOW!

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.